You are about to reuse data, available via DANS. This webpage provides you with relevant information.
The files in a dataset are subject to one of five access categories:
- Open Access: the files are directly accessible and do not require logging in.
- Open Access for registered users: the files are accessible after logging in.
- Restricted Access archaeology group: the files can be accessed after logging in, provided the user is a professional archaeologist or an archaeology student.
- Restricted Access request permission: the files are accessible after logging in if the permission request for access to the dataset has been approved by the depositor of that dataset.
- Other Access:the data will be accessible via another repository.
According to DANS policy, the Restricted Access request permission category will apply to datasets containing personal data. In all other instances, the choice is made by the depositor.
Before you can log in and request datasets, you must create a free account using the Registration form.
Using a dataset
The terms and conditions for using a dataset depend on the depositor’s choice:
- Open Access: use is subject to the Open Access licence identified in the Licence metadata field of the dataset. Various licences are possible, for example CC-BY 4.0.
- Open Access for registered users, Restricted Access archaeology group and Restricted Access request permission: subject to the DANS Licence.
- For datasets in the Restricted Access request permission category, the depositor can impose additional conditions of use on the user.
Citing a dataset
We ask you to cite your dataset in accordance with the DataCite recommendations.
This source reference will consist of:
- The name(s) and/or organisation of the creator(s) of the dataset;
- The year in which the dataset was produced;
- The title of the dataset;
- The name of the organisation managing the archive in which the dataset is stored: DANS;
- The persistent identifier of the dataset as a full URL.
Doorn, dr P.K.; Bommeljé, drs L.S.; Vroom, dr J.A.C.; Wijngaarden, drs H. van; Bommeljé, drs Y.B. (1990): The Aetolian Studies Project. DANS. https://doi.org/10.17026/dans-xxu-6utq
When viewing a dataset at DANS, you will see the citation of the dataset at the top of the dataset page.
If you come across inaccuracies in a dataset, please let us know. DANS will pass the information on to the depositor. Do not forget to include the dataset’s persistent identifier.
If you have any questions, please contact one of the DANS data managers.