NARCIS is the national portal for those looking for:
- Scientific information, including (open access) publications from the repositories of all Dutch universities, KNAW, NWO and a large number of scientific institutions
- Research data available at various data archives
- Research software
- Descriptions of research projects, experts and research institutes in the Netherlands.
38 institutions account for 1 million open access publications
In barely a year’s time, the open-access database has grown by 100,000 publications. Among these more than 1 million open access publications, almost half are (peer-reviewed) journal articles, and there are also reports, dissertations, conference papers, book chapters, books, etc. The publications can be found in the repositories of Dutch universities, KNAW, NWO and other scientific institutions, such as RCE Archaeological Reports, Naturalis Biodiversity Center, TNO, RIVM, WODC, The Netherlands Institute for Social Research, and HBO-Kennisbank (26 Universities of Applied Sciences), 38 institutions in total.
Access to publications and datasets
In total, more than 2.4 million publications can be found through NARCIS. For a large number of ‘closed/restricted access’ publications, NARCIS shows whether these publications are available in open access elsewhere. For this purpose, NARCIS has integrated the service Unpaywall. The logo of Unpaywall is shown next to the Digital Object Identifier (DOI) of a publication. By clicking on the logo, the information from Unpaywall is shown (if available), making it visible whether the publication is available elsewhere.
In addition, more than 358,000 datasets can be found through NARCIS. These datasets are mostly open data, or directly available after logging in. The datasets originate from 25 data archives, including EASY from DANS, The Language Archive and 4TU.ResearchData. In addition, NARCIS provides access to the research software in the repository of the Netherlands eScience Centre and several other institutions.
NARCIS also provides an overview of professors, associate professors (UHDs), lecturers, research institutions and research projects.
NARCIS Advisory Board
DANS closely cooperates with affiliated universities and other institutions to make and keep NARCIS as up-to-date and complete as possible.
Read more about the current status of NARCIS (February 2022) here.
The NARCIS advisory board advises the DANS management on the direction of NARCIS and related services. The composition of the advisory board:
- Dr.ir. Lambert Speelman – the Dutch Research Council
- Astrid van Wesenbeeck MA – National Library of the Netherlands
- Paul Hofman – Eindhoven University of Technology
- Ir. Maarten Seegers – Maastricht University
- Martine Teirlinck-Hermsen MSc / Dafne Vencken MA – HBO Knowledge Infrastructure (HKI)