DANS Data Trail Workshop: Data Management Tools for Archaeologists
29 March 2022
On Tuesday, March 29, 15:30 - 17:00 CET, the (online) DANS Data Trail Workshop: “Data Management Tools for Archaeologists - How can the European ARIADNEplus Project help you?” will take place.
- Peter Doorn (Senior Researcher, DANS, Netherlands)
- Hella Hollander (Manager Data Station Archaeology, DANS, Netherlands)
- Paola Ronzino (Senior Researcher, Project Manager of ARIADNEplus, PIN, Italy)
Chair: Ellen Leenarts (DANS, Netherlands)
About the workshop
An ever-growing number of research funding and research performing organisations require archaeologists to demonstrate that they manage their data responsibly: when you submit a proposal for funding, a data management plan (DMP) is often required. The rationale for this is the idea that scientific research should be transparent and replicable, and that its results, including research data, should be shared whenever possible. To accomplish this, data should comply with the FAIR data principles, meaning that data should be Findable, Accessible, Interoperable and Reusable, see: FAIR Principles and PARTHENOS guidelines.
In the ARIADNEplus project, we developed online tools to assist archaeologists who want to (or are obliged to) make a data management plan. We are offering the following assistance:
- a protocol for Archaeological Data Management, a standard Data Management Plan (DMP) for archaeological research based on the principle of “comply or explain”
- a DMP template for archaeologists, based on the Horizon Europe requirements
- a DMP Researcher Template for archaeological datasets, compliant with the Horizon 2020 requirements.
- a guidance document for Archaeological Data Management with lots of recommendations and good practices.
The workshop aims to introduce the tools to archaeologists and data professionals, provide the opportunity to try them out, and collect feedback on their functionality and usability.
15:30 – 15:35 | Welcome by the chair, Ellen Leenarts
15:35 – 15:45 | Brief introduction on the ARIADNEplus project by Hella Hollander
15:45 – 16:15 | Data Management Tools for Archaeologists:
- Protocol for Archaeological Data Management and the Science Europe Guidelines (by Peter Doorn)
- ARIADNEplus DMP Researcher Template for Archaeological Datasets (by Paola Ronzino)
- New Data Management Requirements for Data Management in the Horizon Europe Program and a New Template for Archaeologists (by Paola Ronzino)
- Guidance, good practices and reference materials (by Peter Doorn)
16:15 – 16:45 | Trying the tools by the audience (in two breakout groups):
- Group A: Archaeological Data Protocol
- Group B: Data Management Plan template for Horizon Europe
16:45 – 17:00 | Feedback from the tool trials, wrap-up and follow-up
- Archaeological researchers (e.g. CAA)
- ARIADNE community
- SEADDA community
- Data managers and Data management support
- Everyone interested in Open Science and FAIR research data
This workshop will be online and held in English. There is no charge for this workshop but registration is obligatory. You can register via the form below. After registration, you will receive the link to the meeting a day or two before the event date.
Registration for this Data Trail is closed, you can no longer register for it.
FAIR and Open dataRDMCollaborationsTraining & Outreach